Want to be a better parent? Here are some things you can do right now to Improve your Parenting Skills.
1. Stop caring what others think. There is always going to be someone out there who will judge you for some parenting choice you have made. So you gave your kid a cell phone early, decided to bottle feed, used reusable diapers, put your daughter on birth control, home schooled your kids, or decided to have a baby before you were married. You made a choice for yourself and your child. Trust your gut and do what works for you.
2. Start giving yourself a break. You do not always have to do everything you can to be a better mother! It is the time you realize you are enough just the way you are! We always want to be the best mother we can be but what we don’t realize is we already are! Are you making the choices you believe are best for your child and your family? Then guess what you are being the best mother. Not every mother is going to do things the same way. Are your kids happy, healthy, well fed, and taken care of? Then guess what, you are doing enough!
3. Play dates! Play dates! Play dates! I can not say this enough! Have other kids over to play. Especially when your kids are young. Having someone to play with will not only keep your kids busy but give you some much needed grown up time.
4. Date Nights! These do not have to be with a significant other they can be with a friend or by yourself. The important part is that you get some time away from your kids. They say distance makes the heart grow fonder right?
5. Apologize for your mistakes and realize it okay to mess up. Realize no one is perfect. It is an important lesson we need to teach our kids. It okay to make a mistake, it is what we do when we make that mistake that makes us or breaks us.
5. Stop trying to be a Pinterest mother. Pinterest is great to pin things that we wish we can do then feel bad we never go to. Stop feeling like you need to do everything you see on Pinterest. Not every meal needs to be a gourmet meal. You do not need to do that many crafts with your kids, dress like that, or scrub your toilet and grout with a toothbrush to be an amazing mother!
6. Put yourself first once a day! Do something that you want to do and place it in the top priority for yourself. For me, this happened twice a day. In the morning, I get up, grab a cup of coffee and have some me time while I read my emails, a book, or just have some time to myself. My son knows not to bother mommy why she is still drinking her coffee and that’s perfect for me. At night after my son and husband have gone to sleep, I either go ninth bathroom and pamper myself with a face mask and do my nails, or I sit down and watch one of my shows just for me. Sometimes I do both of those at the same time.
How can you be a better mother? What is one way you can put yourself first? Let me know in the comments below!